Wednesday 17 February 2010

My culture as a media text


I would consider “More” magazine to be a media text that represents my personal culture, as it contains articles on high street fashion, celebrity culture and real life stories. These subjects feature heavily in my daily life, as the shops that are publicised in the magazine I shop in on a weekly basis and I enjoy being able to “window shop” from the comfort of my sofa. I am not majorly obsessed with celebrity culture, but I am interested in certain celebrity’s and what they wear. I am also fond of the real life stories in “More” as I love to gossip and enjoy hearing about people’s lives. I chose to read magazines like “More” and “Look” over others (such as “Vogue” or “Cosmopolitan”) as the subjects covered in these magazines actually relate directly to my life – unlike higher end fashion magazines, which are more of an aspirational read for me, being that I don’t buy designer clothes or follow certain celebrities. I base my culture around the interests and past times that make up the activities I undertake in my life, and I think my description of my culture through “More” magazine shows that the majority of my culture is based around consumerism and popular culture. I do think my culture is relatively mainstream, and believe that there are probably a large number of female students in their late-teens/early twenties who would describe their culture as being very similar to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment